Sunday, November 27, 2011

Incredibly thankful

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. As I am sure many of you reflected on what you are thankful for so I figured I might as well give it a go as well.

Most importantly, I am thankful for my husband and kids; who no matter what is going on in the world around us, have our own special life going on and that truly makes me happy. Secondly, for my mom and sisters; who without them, I wouldn't be who I am.  Thirdly, for my in-laws; who have loved me from the beginning {almost 13 years ago} like I was one of their own; who without them, I would not have the man I am happy to call my husband and the father of my children. 

My husband and I were in charge of making the turkey this year. We decided to order a fresh turkey from a local turkey farm. I really think we would have had an amazing turkey, but for whatever reason, the turkey (all 25 1/2 lbs) cooked in 3 hours. We didn't put the meat thermometer into it right away because we didn't know where it was and we figured we had at least 4 1/2 hours of cook time to look for it... bad idea. After 3 hours, it started to smell like something was burning. I opened the oven and put some foil on the legs. Otherwise it looked great; beautiful carmelized color. I finally decided to check the grill out in the garage to see if my husband forgot to bring the thermometer in the last time he used it... Yup. Sure did. I ran back inside and had my husband check it out. Sure enough the temp read 195 degrees! Oooops! We were supposed to take it out when it reached 160 degrees!  Thankfully it was not a re-creation of the Christmas Vacation turkey like we thought. It was just fine. Could have been more flavorful, but at least it was still edible after letting it sit in the roasting pan out of the oven for 6 hours! We were hoping to have it done at 11am and instead it was ready at 9am! I think next year, we'll try to inject it and see if that helps at all.


We started out having lunch around 3pm with my in-law's. Most of the family are Detroit Lions fans, so when we walked in, my mother-in-law had a table full of Lions t-shirts for the entire family:



We took two pictures because we had some family missing from both. Combined, we're all accounted for :-)

My favorite picture of our day is one of my beautiful little angel:


Lastly, we made our way across town to spend the end of the day with my family. We arrived to my sister's beautiful Sandra Lee inspired tablescape:


I did not get a chance to take many pictures at my sister's house because we were busy eating and playing Dance Central on the Xbox Kinect :-)

Now its time for Christmas! We're hoping to take our family photo shoot with our friend next weekend. Hopefully I can find our outfits in time.












No comments: